Streaming services

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What streaming services does everybody use?

We replaced our cable TV with Netflix and Disney + and as of yet have had no complaints and save £50 or £60 a month.

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I haven't had any TV service in a good 15 years at this point, replaced them with Netflix at first, then Hulu, then Prime Video and then Disney+. I've started to scale back on my streaming services because I've setup my own Plex server, where I've scanned in all of my DVDs and Blu Rays (and you can pick them up dirt cheap most places, around about $1USD in charity shops/thrift stores) and they now sit on an external storage drive and I can watch them on my TVs, phones, whatever anytime I want to. I pay for the Plex Pass, which is $5USD a month or there's a $129USD lifetime license that I'd like to get eventually, it just means you can have multiple accounts so everyone can watch their own things and not get mixed up with one another (like everyone having a profile on Netflix). Well worth it to me, and it saves a lot of money! I'm also in control of the content on it, things don't just randomly disappear, which is nice. No "expiring in 7 days!" notices.

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've wanted to digitize all my DVD's for a long time, but finding the storage space and time to do it is proving challenging. Did you use any specific software to backup your disks?

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've wanted to digitize all my DVD's for a long time, but finding the storage space and time to do it is proving challenging. Did you use any specific software to backup your disks?
I use MakeMKV to digitize the DVD, then Handbrake to make it into an .mp4 so Plex can recognize it. It is time consuming, definitely, but it's been so, so worth it :).

Here's a look at what my Plex movie library looks like, now that I've spent that time and digitized all of my DVDs:

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For 719 movies and 25 tv shows it's 5TB, which is quite a bit. It's sitting on an external HDD, so not too bad, and it streams perfectly fine, just like any other streaming service :)

Nebulous

Lets see... I have:
  • Netflix
  • Disney+
  • Paramount+
  • Peacock
  • Amazon Prime
  • Hulu

I pay for Paramount+ and Amazon Prime, my partner pays for the rest.

Dobo

I currently have just Netflix and Amazon Prime, but will most likely cancel the latter when it's up for renewal in December. I've also recently cancelled Disney+

I've setup my own Plex server, where I've scanned in all of my DVDs and Blu Rays (and you can pick them up dirt cheap most places, around about $1USD in charity shops/thrift stores) and they now sit on an external storage drive and I can watch them on my TVs, phones, whatever anytime I want to.
I did the same a few years ago, but never invested in setting up a NAS for a dedicated server.

I also couldn't decide on the best way to compress the films, and felt the standard 4.5GB per DVD was a bit overkill.. that, and I since swapped to Blu-ray with no way to rip those.

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you rip it with MakeMKV and then transcode with Handbrake the files are considerably smaller and you can convert your Blu Rays, too!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Lee wrote on Baby Community's profile.
Happy birthday!
Happy Birthday Party GIF by curly_mads
Lee wrote on lincoln's profile.
Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine