Paying for medical needs?

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm aware a lot of our guests reside in countries with universal healthcare, and that's fantastic! The United States, however, does not have a universal healthcare policy, and as a result of that, costs can and do skyrocket for all things medical.

As an example -- I am an insulin resistant type 1 diabetic, I need and rely on insulin to survive. I'm at the stage now where I use 8 vials a month, that's a lot! I also happen to use a type of insulin that only recently received a generic version, and as a result this insulin is very expensive. It's $300 a vial for the brand name, $150 for the generic and $72 for Walmart's own version of the generic. You multiply that by 8 and you can see very quickly how this can be a problem. I'm fortunate that, at the moment, I have healthcare through the state, but that can change at any moment. I can't get 'normal' health insurance, and so there's a very good chance I'll be stuck with the bill for that, and I'm on seven other prescriptions, as well. So, not an inconsiderable sum each month!

So my question is simple: If you're left without insurance or with limited coverage, how do you afford crucial medicines?

Nebulous

Sadly in this country you need to have a job with good medical benefits to be able to take care of yourself properly. You also need to work that job until you reach retirement age so you can get on social security afterwards.

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VERY true! It's all about getting good medical, and even with good medical the co-pays can still crush you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Lee wrote on Baby Community's profile.
Happy birthday!
Happy Birthday Party GIF by curly_mads
Lee wrote on lincoln's profile.
Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine