Cheapest meals you can think of?

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What are some good, cheap meals you can try when things are bit tight but you still want to feed people?

For me, I tend to lean towards a light breakfast. Omelettes and toast with some beans or scrambled egg on toast with anything I can find to pair with it, lol. I find eggs are always reasonable somewhere, and you can get store brand breads for decent prices, too, so there's a couple of meals for pennies, essentially. If it's just me I can go even cheaper and just have a toast sandwich, lol. Bread, butter, bit of toasted bread, done.

What are your go-to meals for yourself or feeding multiple people?

Nebulous

Hmm, tacos? Ground beef isn't too expensive (especially if your local grocery store is having a sale), tortillas are dirt cheap, cheese is optional, cilantro and green onions are like 50 cents for a bundle of them.

Nebulous

Hmm, tacos? Ground beef isn't too expensive (especially if your local grocery store is having a sale), tortillas are dirt cheap, cheese is optional, cilantro and green onions are like 50 cents for a bundle of them.

...you can also add potatoes to the ground beef to stretch it farther and be able to make more tacos. Sounds weird but its surprisingly good to have pieces of cooked potatoes in your tacos. Even if better if you use chorizo instead of ground beef (which is also cheap).

If you make potato / chorizo tacos you can save the leftovers and mix in some scrambled eggs to make breakfast burritos the next day.

NOW I am hungry! :D

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tacos are a good, cheap meal, that's true! Breakfast burrito talk is making me hungry now, too :D

Dobo

If you can stretch to it, a Spaghetti Bolognaise or a Chili Con Carne..

The most expensive part is the mince, but it's both filling and satisfying. It's very easy to batch cook too, so you can scale up or scale down as desired and either freeze some or host a few guests.

..and you get brownie points for a bit of home cooking!

Foxy

Beef stew makes a nutritious meal that only requires a small amount of beef that is cubed and stewed with lots of vegetables. Serve it over toast

Stuffed peppers with rice and ground beef.

Vegetable lasagna serves a lot of people and can also be made with some ground beef for a classic meat lasagna.

Baked ziti can also be made with or without meat and it's a filling meal that goes far.

Tuna noodle casserole

Use left over meat by adding vegetables and gravy and baking it between pie crusts to make pot pies. We do this with Thanksgiving leftovers.

Sloppy Joe's on buns or toast.

Macaroni & cheese

Meat loaf can be made so many ways

Latest posts

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Lee wrote on Baby Community's profile.
Happy birthday!
Happy Birthday Party GIF by curly_mads
Lee wrote on lincoln's profile.
Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine