Affordable School Supply Ideas

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How do you approach getting school supplies for kids? Do you wait for the sales? Hold off until the kids have gone back to school and load up on the clearance items so you're prepared for next school year?

When I was still going to school, and this is something I've told a few of my friends that have kids, I went to local Dollar stores around (Dollar Tree), as you could get everything you needed for $1 each. I assume shops like Pound World do the same thing in the UK. Now that Dollar Tree has moved to $1.25 in price, there are some items that are actually cheaper in stores like Walmart of your local Kroger brand, since they still charge $1 or even less in some cases. So if pays to be thrifty and to do a little shopping around BEFORE diving in and buying anything.

Jay

We used to start early years ago, my youngest is 14, so it's all about mom and her doing the shopping now as she is too old to have dad on the scene.

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We used to start early years ago, my youngest is 14, so it's all about mom and her doing the shopping now as she is too old to have dad on the scene.
Daaaaad, you just don't get it! Ugh... Lol, love the grown up kid phase, it's hilarious. Take full advantage, go to somewhere extremely busy and make horrible dad jokes!

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We buy supermarket own supplies wherever possible and we will for as long as we can get away with it (before the kids start demanding brands! :D).

Today I got 3 pairs of black trainers, three pairs of black leggings and socks for each of the girls and spend £50.00.

Crystal

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We buy supermarket own supplies wherever possible and we will for as long as we can get away with it (before the kids start demanding brands! :D).

Today I got 3 pairs of black trainers, three pairs of black leggings and socks for each of the girls and spend £50.00.
Fantastic savings when you get them like that!

Hopefully they don't learn about brands for a while, lol, gets so much more expensive!

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My oldest knows about brands already, but she isn't dependent on them like a teenager :D

Foxy

I don't have children but I always participated in the annual back to school drive at my office to buy school supplies for kids living in homeless shelters in our borough. I shopped in the local 99 cent store to get the most bang for my buck. I purchased backpacks, notebooks, boxes of crayons, calculators, pens, pencils, highlighters, gluesticks, rulers, loose-leaf binder paper, report covers, binders, hand sanitizer, erasers and markers. I'd always leave the store with huge bags of supplies for bargain prices.

I always enjoyed shopping for school supplies and helping the shelter kids return to school with all new items.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Lee wrote on Baby Community's profile.
Happy birthday!
Happy Birthday Party GIF by curly_mads
Lee wrote on lincoln's profile.
Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine